- One 3/4-pound eggplant, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
In a colander set over the sink, sprinkle the eggplant with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Let stand for 25 minutes. Gently squeeze the eggplant to remove any excess water.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the parsley, lemon juice, tahini and cayenne and season with salt and black pepper.
Set the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Season the bread crumbs with salt and black pepper. Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour, tapping off any excess. Coat the eggplant with the eggs, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Cover the eggplant with the bread crumbs, pressing so the crumbs adhere.
In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. Working in batches, fry the eggplant over moderate heat, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggplant to paper towels. Serve right away, passing the tahini aioli for dipping.