- One 6-ounce zucchini
- One 6-ounce yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 pound Italian eggplant
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Cut the vegetables into a 1-inch dice and keep in separate piles. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, 6 minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and peppers, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 minutes. Add the eggplant, tomato, tomato paste and ketchup and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is soft, 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and white pepper. Spoon the ratatouille into four 8-ounce ramekins.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Spoon the beaten egg whites over the ratatouille, gently spreading them in an even layer. Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top and bake in the upper third of the oven until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Serve right away.
One Serving 170 cal, 9 gm fat, 1.6 gm sat fat, 17 gm carb, 5 gm fiber.