Egg Salad with Capers and Spinach on Toasted Brioche
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 20 sandwich halves
- 16 large eggs
- 2 medium shallots, 1 minced,1 thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons drained capers, patted dry and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 10-ounce bags of washed curly spinach, tough stems discarded
- 20 slices of brioche cut from a rectangular loaf, lightly toasted
- In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water and bring to a rapid boil over moderately high heat. Cover and remove the saucepan from the heat; let stand for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the minced shallot with the vinegar and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain well and discard the vinegar.
- Drain and rinse the eggs under cold water, shaking the pan vigorously to crack the shells. Let the eggs cool completely. Peel the eggs and pat dry, then coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, celery, capers, chives, lemon juice and vinegar-infused minced shallot. Add the eggs and mix gently with a wooden spoon. Season the egg salad with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the sliced shallot and cook over high heat, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the spinach and press out the water. Coarsely chop the spinach and transfer it to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until chilled.
- Arrange the toasted brioche slices on a work surface. Spoon the egg salad on half of the slices and top with the spinach. Close the sandwiches and cut in half. Serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.