Egg Salad Crostini with White Anchovies
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 4 dozen crostini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 thin baguette, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 24 white anchovy fillets or pickled herring pieces—drained, patted dry and halved crosswise
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Add the onion; cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until browned, 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Lightly brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake the crostini for 5 minutes, or until crisp, but not golden. Immediately rub 1 side of each crostini with the garlic. Let cool on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs and return to a boil, then boil for 7 minutes. Immerse the eggs in the ice water bath until completely cool, then peel and transfer to a medium bowl. Lightly mash the eggs with a large fork. Gently stir in the chives, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, top each crostini with the onion, followed by the egg salad and a piece of anchovy.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.