Egg Creams with Spiced Chocolate Syrup
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: makes enough syrup for 7 drinks
Inspired by the soda fountains of her mother’s Brooklyn childhood, Gina Chersevani created this delicious egg cream soda, which starts with her own homemade chocolate syrup spiced with cardamom, black peppercorns and cinnamon. One old-school touch: a pinch of citric acid, for tartness.
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick, cracked
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Heavy cream, citric acid (optional, see Note) and seltzer, for serving
- In a small saucepan, toast the cardamom, peppercorns and cinnamon over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and return to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat. Cool the syrup, then strain it into a glass jar or plastic container.
- For each soda: In a tall ice-filled glass, stir 1/4 cup of the syrup with 1 tablespoon of cream and a pinch of citric acid. Top with seltzer, stir and serve right away.
The chocolate syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.Notes
Citric acid is available at vitamin shops, well-stocked grocery stores and online at williams-sonoma.com.