- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
Café de la Concha • San Sebastián, Spain
This traditional Spanish dish is made daily with all local ingredients at Sabadell's family-owned beachside restaurant. Maite Sabadell also makes the tortilla for her grown children to eat on the plane when they travel.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes—peeled, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the broiler. In a large nonstick ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the potatoes and cook over moderate heat until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Using the back of a wooden spoon, coarsely break up some of the potatoes and season with salt. Add the eggs and stir to combine. Cook until the eggs are set on the bottom and at the edge.
- Transfer the skillet to the broiler and broil the tortilla about 2 inches from the heat for about 1 1/2 minutes, until set and golden in spots. Invert the tortilla onto a serving plate, cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.