© Con Poulos
Edamame, Celery and Fennel Salad with Candied Lemon
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 12
The crunchy mix of ingredients in this salad is unexpected and fun. And the dressing is equally unusual: It's made with chopped candied lemon as well as soy sauce, toasted-sesame oil and Sriracha, so it's both sweet and spicy.
- 2 large lemons, very thinly sliced (preferably on a mandoline)
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 pounds frozen shelled edamame (4 cups), thawed
- 1 head of celery, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 2 fennel bulbstrimmed, cored and very thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 medium shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- In a large saucepan, combine the lemon slices with 1 cup of the sugar and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lemons are translucent and the liquid is syrupy, about 30 minutes. Let the lemons cool completely in the syrup, then transfer the lemons to a cutting board and finely chop them. Reserve the lemon syrup for another use.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the edamame and cook until they are tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and cool the edamame under running water; pat dry. Transfer the edamame to a large bowl. Add the sliced celery, fennel, parsley and shallot.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the rice vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar; season the dressing lightly with salt and pepper. Whisk in the chopped candied lemon. Add the dressing to the salad and toss well to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle the salad with the white and black sesame seeds and serve right away.
Make AheadThe undressed salad and the dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight. Toss the salad with the dressing and sprinkle with the sesame seeds just before serving.