Edamame and Pea Salad with Sweet Onions and Goat Cheese
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Vidalia onion (3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch wedges through the root end
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (6 ounces), thawed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (6 ounces), thawed
- 2 cups sugar snap peas (6 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces aged goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate. Add the onion wedges to the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until golden and softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 2 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to a plate.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the edamame, peas and sugar snap peas and cook until the sugar snaps are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice with the mustard and the remaining 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the edamame, peas, sugar snaps, bacon, onion wedges, garlic and mint. Season the salad with salt and pepper and toss until combined. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the salad and serve at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.