- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups Home-Canned Tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic, onion and carrot and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, pass the tomatoes and their juices through a food mill. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Pass the sauce through a food mill and return it to the skillet. Add the butter, basil and oregano, cover partially and simmer for 30 minutes longer.