- 9 to 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for coating baking dish
- 1 pound sweet peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 16 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
How to make this recipe
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles until al dente according to package instructions. Rinse under cold water until cool. Lay the cooked pasta flat and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then add the sweet peppers. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread a light layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Lay 3 to 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise over the sauce.
- Layer one-third of the remaining tomato sauce over the lasagna noodles and then layer half of the ricotta mixture. Layer half of the sweet peppers over the ricotta and then spread one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat this pattern: noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese, sweet peppers and mozzarella cheese. Add a final layer of lasagna noodles and then add the remaining tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake lasagna for about 45 minutes or until the top cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from oven; let cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.