Easy Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
"A good sauce is the bridge between the meat and the wine," says Ken Frank. When pairing beef with Cabernet, he usually serves a hearty red-wine sauce, like the one on these short ribs. Veal stock gives the dish extra-deep flavor, but chicken stock (preferably homemade) works well too.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- One 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine
- 2 cups veal or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Four 2-inch-thick, flanken-cut short ribs with bone (2 3/4 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Buttered egg noodles, for serving
- In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery and carrot, cover and cook over moderate heat until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3 minutes longer. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the wine and veal stock and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Season the ribs with salt and pepper, add them to the pan and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until they are well browned, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the short ribs to the casserole. Partially cover and cook over moderately low heat until very tender, about 2 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate and remove the bones. Strain the sauce into a heatproof measuring cup and skim off the fat. Return the sauce to the casserole and boil until reduced to 2 cups, 10 minutes. Return the meat to the sauce and simmer over low heat until heated through. Serve the ribs with egg noodles.
With its currantlike fruit, firm tannins and lush body, Cabernet is a Napa Valley classic that goes well with most beef and lamb dishes.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.