© Peter Arkle
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 7 cups
This hana-katsuo dashi is simple to prepare and delivers an intensely savory broth. Make it at the last minute, right before using.
Slideshow: Japanese Recipes
- 16 grams kombu (dried seaweed), about two 6-by-1-inch strips, wiped with a damp towel
- 8 1/2 cups cold filtered water
- 60 grams bonito shavings (about 3 lightly packed cups)
- In a large saucepan, combine the kombu with 8 cups of the water and let stand at room temperature until the kombu starts to soften, about 30 minutes.
- Bring the water to a bare simmer over moderate heat; tiny bubbles will form on the bottom of the saucepan. Remove from the heat and discard the kombu. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cold water to the saucepan, then add the bonito shavings and bring just to a simmer. Immediately strain the dashi through a fine sieve and use right away.