Easy Chicken Fajitas
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Eight-year-old Dani Shaub loves making these juicy chicken fajitas—a recipe she based on the ingredient list from a packet of fajita seasoning—because it involves lots of slicing (one of her favorite cooking tasks) and "everyone gets to participate and pick their own toppings," she says.
More Quick Mexican Dishes
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper—cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed in the microwave
- Shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream, for serving
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the chile powder with the salt, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cornstarch, water and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the chicken, bell pepper and onion, seal and knead gently to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet until shimmering. Empty the contents of the bag into the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl and serve with the warmed tortillas, lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream and lime wedges.