© Maura McEvoy
Earl Grey Devil's Food Cakes with Cherries
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons, melted
- 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm brewed Earl Grey tea
- Toasted pistachios, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, scald the cream. Off the heat, add the chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes; whisk until smooth. Add the cold butter and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- In a nonreactive medium saucepan, combine the cherries with 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon juice and let stand for 30 minutes. Boil for 5 minutes, then cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter and flour 8 muffin cups. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar with the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk the egg with the egg yolk, buttermilk, tea and melted butter; whisk into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the cups and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, then invert the cakes on a rack; let cool. Set the cakes on plates upside down and top with chocolate ganache. Spoon on the cherries, sprinkle with nuts and serve.