- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 russet postatoes, scrubbed and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a Dutch oven or large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately low heat until slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir to coat them with the bacon fat. Press them snugly into the pot and bake for 10 minutes. Stir the potatoes, press them into the pot again and bake for 20 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper and stir well. Press firmly and bake for 20 minutes more, or until the potatoes are crusty. Serve at once.