- 1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1/2 ounce apple brandy
- 1/4 ounce sorghum syrup (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon smoky Islay Scotch, preferably Ardbeg 10-year
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Ice, plus 1 large cube for serving
- 1 orange twist, for garnish
- 1 to 3 brandied cherries skewered on a pick, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a mixing glass, combine the whiskey, brandy, sorghum syrup, Scotch and bitters. Fill the glass with ice, stir well and strain into a chilled rocks glass over the large ice cube. Pinch the orange twist over the drink and drop it in, then garnish with the skewered cherries.
Sorghum syrup: Mix 3/4 teaspoon sorghum syrup with 3/4 teaspoon hot water and let cool.