Dulce de Leche Bread Pudding
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This gooey bread pudding made with caramel-like dulce de leche from Latin America is so much more than the sum of its five parts. To add even more flavor, throw in a handful of fresh or frozen raspberries or blueberries before baking.
- Crème anglaise
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche, plus more for serving
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 pound crustless challah, cut into 1-inch cubes (10 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 425° and butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish. In a large bowl, stir the crème anglaise with the 1/2 cup of dulce de leche and the butter. Whisk in the egg whites. Add the challah, stirring and gently mashing until the cubes are nearly soaked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for about 12 minutes, until firm and bubbling around the edges.
- Heat the broiler. Broil the pudding for 1 to 2 minutes, shifting the dish a few times, until browned all over. Cut the bread pudding into squares, drizzle with dulce de leche and serve.