Duck Confit Quesadillas
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
Stuffed with shredded duck confit and Jack cheese and topped with chipotle-honey mayonnaise, these are quite possibly the world's most indulgent quesadillas.
- 2 pieces of duck leg confit, skin discarded and meat coarsely shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños—1 seeded and minced, 1 thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus 2 tablespoons whole leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 plum tomato—halved, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Six 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine the duck confit with half of the chopped red onion, the minced jalapeño and 1 tablespoon of the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, mix the remaining red onion with 1 tablespoon of the chopped cilantro, the zucchini, yellow squash, tomato, lime juice and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the chipotles, lemon juice, honey and the remaining 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the tortillas on a work surface. Spoon the duck confit mixture on the bottom half of each tortilla and top with the cheese. Fold the top half of each tortilla over the filling.
- In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add 3 of the quesadillas and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp on the outside and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Transfer the quesadillas to a baking sheet and keep warm in the preheated oven; cook the remaining 3 quesadillas in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into 3 triangles. Top each triangle with a dollop of chipotle mayonnaise and a large spoonful of the zucchini salsa. Garnish with the cilantro leaves, scallions and thinly sliced jalapeño and serve at once.