- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This fast (and almost vegetarian) Thai rice noodle dish is dressed with a deliciously savory, spicy sauce and tossed with crispy tofu.
- Vegetable oil
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cubed and dried
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons roasted red chile paste
- 1 teaspoon black soy sauce or 3/4 teaspoon soy sauce sweetened with 1/4 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 large jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red Thai bird chile, minced
- 1/2 pound pad thai rice noodles, cooked and cut in half crosswise
- Thai basil leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Add the tofu and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until crisp, 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a bowl, whisk the stock, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chile paste, soy sauce and sugar.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and Thai chile and stir-fry over high heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the noodles and stir-fry until browned, 4 minutes. Add the sauce and toss over moderately high heat, until absorbed. Fold in 1 cup of basil and the tofu. Garnish with more basil and serve with lime wedges.
For super-fiery dishes like these noodles, try a moderately sweet German Riesling to help mitigate the heat.