- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes (3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups dried figs (3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots (1/2 pound)
- 1 bottle (750ml) Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped sage plus whole leaves, for garnish
- 1/2 pound fresh goat cheese, cut into 8 slices
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, combine the prunes, figs, apricots, wine and sugar and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately high and cook, stirring often, until the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup and the fruits are very tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the cherries during the last 5 minutes of cooking; let cool.
Stir the chopped sage into the compote and spoon the compote into 8 bowls. Set a slice of goat cheese on each serving and garnish with sage leaves.
The compote can be refrigerated overnight. Stir in 1/4 cup of water before serving.