- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed dried apricots and pitted prunes, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, gelato or crème fraîche, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, combine the white wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and cloves and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the dried fruits, water and vanilla extract and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the fruit is plump and the liquid is slightly syrupy, about 25 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Spoon the warm fruit and syrup over ice cream and serve.
The fruit compote can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.