- 1 cup coarsely chopped mixed dried fruit, such as cherries, golden raisins and apricots (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the dried fruit with the vinegar and water. Cover and microwave at high power for 1 minute, until the dried fruit is softened and plump.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the jam; cook until melted and sizzling. Add the dried fruit and its liquid; bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The chow chow can be refrigerated for 1 week.
Chicken, pork, duck, steak, sausages.