Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Sang Yoon first learned the benefits of making burgers with more than one kind of meat when he tried a beef-pork patty at a little corner stand in Atlanta. For his impressive version, he uses chopped smoky bacon to enrich ground pork. Just before the burgers are done, he tops them with Camembert (for creaminess) and Gorgonzola (for more creaminess, as well as pungency).
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Four 1/2-inch-thick red onion slices
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 hamburger buns or ciabatta rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ounces Camembert, cut into eight 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, cut into four 1/3-inch-thick slices
- Arugula and 4 tomato slices
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain and let cool. In a large bowl, mix the bacon with the ground pork, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties.
- Light a grill. Drizzle the onion slices with olive oil and grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter. Brush the cut sides of the buns with the melted butter and grill, cut sides down, until toasted, about 1 minute. Turn and grill for 30 seconds longer. Transfer the buns to the platter.
- Grill the burgers until charred outside and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Arrange 2 Camembert slices and a Gorgonzola slice on each burger and cook until the cheese is melted, 1 minute.
- On the bottom halves of the buns, layer the arugula, tomato, burgers and grilled onion. Close the burgers and serve.
These burgers pair well with the crisp, coriander-inflected Lagunitas Brewing Company's Sonoma Farmhouse Saison, modeled after the widely distributed Belgian beer Saison Dupontalso a great match.