Double-Crusted Apple-Cranberry Pie
- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE
- Double-Crust Pastry
- 1 1/2 pounds tart apples
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the Double-Crust Pastry into an 11-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the round to a 9-inch pie pan and fit it against the bottom and sides without stretching. Using a small sharp knife, trim the dough flush with the rim. Refrigerate the pie shell for 30 minutes.
- Using a small sharp knife, peel, quarter and core the apples. Slice them lengthwise 1/4 inch thick. In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the cranberries, sugar, flour, orange zest, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Dot with the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly moisten the edge of the pie shell with cold water. Roll out the other half of the Double-Crust Pastry into a 12-inch round and drape it over the pie. Trim the overhanging dough to 1/2 inch. Tuck the excess dough under the rim of the bottom pie shell and press to seal; crimp decoratively. Using a small sharp knife, cut 3 or 4 steam vents in the top.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes. Cover the rim with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the apples feel tender when a cake tester is inserted into the center of the pie. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.