- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE DOUBLE-CRUST 9-INCH PIE
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening or lard
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening and process until the mixture is rough textured, with particles the size of peas.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing briefly after each addition. Add another tablespoon of the water and pulse just until the dough begins to hold together. Add 1 more tablespoon of water if necessary.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and gather it into a ball, handling it as little as possible. Divide the dough in half. Pat the 2 pieces into disks, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or overnight before rolling out.