Double-Crust Apple-Apricot Pie
- ACTIVE: 1 HR 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS plus 2 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: makes one 9-inch pie
In this fun twist on a classic apple pie, master baker Alice Medrich enhances the flavor of the tender baked apples with dried apricots and orange zest.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- Perfectly Flaky Yogurt-Butter Pie Dough
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 5 large apples (2 1/2 pounds), such as Granny Smith— peeled, cored, quartered and thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- On a floured work surface, roll out the larger disk of dough to a 13-inch round. Fold the round in quarters and transfer to a 9-inch glass pie dish; unfold the pastry and gently press it into the pie plate. Lightly brush the bottom of the dough with some of the egg white. Roll out the smaller disk of pie dough to a 12-inch round. Fold the round in quarters, transfer it to a wax paper–lined baking sheet and unfold. Freeze the pie shell and the 12-inch round of dough for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, toss the apples with the 1/2 cup of sugar and the apricots, zest, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Scrape the apples into the pie shell and dot with the butter. Brush the edge with some of the egg white and top with the second round of dough. Press the edges together and, using scissors, trim the overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold the edge under itself and crimp decoratively. Brush the pie with the milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut slashes in the top of the pie to vent steam.
- Bake the pie in the lower third of the oven for 1 hour, until the crust is deep golden and the filling is bubbling through the vents; tent with foil during the last 20 minutes of baking. Cool completely before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.