© Chris Court
Double Cheeseburgers, Los Angeles-Style
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Roy Choi’s burgers look like the American classic, but get an Asian twist with toasted sesame seeds in the mayo and fresh shiso leaves on top of the lettuce.
Slideshow: Burger Recipes
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 brioche hamburger buns, split
- 2 pounds ground chuck, shaped into eight 1/4-inch-thick patties
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 4 shiso or sesame (perilla) leaves
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- 4 thin slices of red onion
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the sesame seeds.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or 2 nonstick skillets over moderate heat. Butter the cut sides of the hamburger buns and toast them on the griddle until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Season the patties with salt and pepper. Brush the griddle with the olive oil, add the patties and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for 2 minutes longer, then top each one with a slice of cheddar cheese. Cook just until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Stack 2 burgers on each bun. Top with the lettuce, shiso leaves, tomato and onion. Spread the top halves of the buns with the sesame mayo, close the burgers and serve.
Lively, cherry-rich Grenache.