Doro Wat Tacos
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
Star chef Marcus Samuelsson fills tortillas with doro wat, the stewed chicken dish from his native Ethiopia. It’s flavored with thyme and berbere, a spice blend that includes chiles, allspice and ginger. The tacos are even tastier with a range of garnishes: chopped hard-cooked eggs, cilantro and cottage cheese, which is similar to the Ethiopian curd cheese called aiyb.
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons berbere (See Note)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 habanero chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- Warm corn tortillas, for serving
- In a bowl, rub the chicken with the lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, 1 tablespoon of the berbere and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden and softened, about 25 minutes. Stir in the garlic, habanero, ginger and the remaining thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and the remaining berbere. Cook over moderate heat until glossy, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, 3 minutes. Stir in the stock; bring to a boil. Add the chicken, cover and bake for 40 minutes, until tender; turn halfway through baking.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Simmer over moderately high heat until the sauce has thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in half the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Serve with tortillas and the remaining eggs.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.