© Tina Rupp
- ACTIVE: 1 HR 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 5 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 12 dozen truffles
F&W's Melissa Rubel Jacobson sets out bowls of flavored ganache and dishes of coatings so guests can create their own truffles to give as gifts.
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 3 pounds bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 teaspoons pure peppermint oil
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Options for Coatings
- Finely crushed toffee bits
- Mint candies
- Dehydrated raspberries
- Amaretti cookies
- Malted milk balls
- Chocolate cookies
- Finely chopped toasted almonds
- Chocolate covered espresso beans
- Toasted coconut
- Roasted salted peanuts
- Candied ginger
- Confectioners' sugar mixed with cocoa powder and large pinch kosher salt
- COAT THE TRUFFLES In a large saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer. In a large bowl, combine the chopped chocolate with the butter and salt. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let stand until the chocolate and butter are melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk the ganache until smooth and shiny.
- Divide the ganache into 4 bowls. To flavor it, add either the rum, peppermint oil, espresso or cardamom to each batch. Cover the ganache and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a 1-tablespoon-size ice cream scoop, drop level tablespoons of the ganache onto the baking sheets. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Spoon the coatings into small bowls. Moisten your hands with ice water and roll the ganache into balls, then roll in the coatings. Package the truffles in decorative bags or boxes.
Make Ahead The coated truffles can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Notes Truffle ideas:
- Peppermint filling with powdered sugar, chocolate cookie crumbs or mint candies
- Espresso filling with cinnamon-sugar, amaretti or cocoa powder-salt mixture
- Rum filling with coconut, candied ginger or toffee
- Cardamom filling with cinnamon-sugar, amaretti or candied ginger
- Plain chocolate filling with raspberry, malt balls or peanuts