- 1 1/2 pounds fresh whole okra
- 3 dried red chile peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 teaspoons dried dill, divided
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black or white peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Divide the okra evenly between 3 sterile pint-size canning jars. Place 1 dried chile, 1 clove of garlic, 1 whole clove, 1 teaspoon of dried dill, and 2 sprigs of fresh dill into each jar.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, vinegars, mustard seeds, peppercorns, sugar and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt for the brine. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, pour the pickling brine as evenly as possible into the jars. Seal the jars in a hot water bath according to the jars' package instructions and store in a cool, dry place for at least a week.
Pickled okra should last up to 6 months in a sealed jar when stored in a cool, dry place. Refrigerate after opening.