- 8 to 10 slices of white sandwich bread, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 1/4 cup brine from jarred dill pickles
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup finely diced dill pickles
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups lightly packed baby arugula
- 1/2 cup lightly packed basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the bread on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly toasted. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pickle brine with the canola oil and sugar. Add the toasted bread, pickles and onion and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula, basil and half of the shaved cheese and toss. Transfer the panzanella to a platter and top with the remaining cheese. Serve right away.
Serve with Tea-Brined & Double-Fried Hot Chicken (page 258), hot dogs or sausages.
Contributed By Erik Anderson Photo © Chris Court