- 1 dozen large eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 pound sliced white sandwich bread
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Paprika, for dusting
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with water, add the vinegar and bring to a rapid boil. Cover the saucepan and remove it from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Drain the eggs and cool them under cold running water, shaking the pan vigorously to crack the shells. Let the eggs cool in the water.
- Meanwhile, quarter the bread slices on the diagonal and arrange them in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Toast the bread in the oven for about 6 minutes, turning once, until barely browned.
- Shell the eggs and halve them lengthwise. Coarsely chop half of the egg whites and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the remaining whites and all of the yolks to a food processor along with the mayonnaise and mustard and process until smooth. Scrape the mixture into the bowl and blend with the chopped egg whites. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the toast points with the egg spread and dust lightly with paprika. Arrange the toasts on a platter and serve. Alternatively, serve the egg spread in a bowl with the toast points alongside.
The deviled-egg spread can be refrigerated overnight.