Dessert Couscous with Raisins and Almonds
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- Two 10-ounce boxes of couscous
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for serving
- Confectioners' sugar, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mix the couscous with the oil, rubbing the grains between your palms until evenly coated.
- In a large saucepan, combine 3 1/2 cups of the water with the butter and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the couscous, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1 cup of water, granulated sugar and raisins and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes; drain.
- Stir the raisins into the couscous and fluff with a fork. Mound the couscous in a deep platter and flatten the top slightly. Decorate with vertical stripes of whole almonds, cinnamon and confectioners' sugar. Serve the couscous, passing small bowls of confectioners' sugar and cinnamon on the side.