Delicious Fried Rice
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Kylie Kwong says, "The secret to good fried rice is cooking the eggs first. You scramble the eggs and take them out of the wok. Then you stir-fry onion, bacon, ginger and all of the aromatics, put in the rice and soy, then lastly the eggs, so you have fluffy eggs throughout the dish."
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick-cut slices of bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups cooked white rice, chilled or at room temperature
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil until very hot. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and pour into the wok. Scramble the eggs over high heat until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the bacon to the wok and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to the plate with the eggs. Drain off the bacon grease and wipe out the wok.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in the wok. Add the garlic and ginger and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sherry and sugar and cook until the sherry is reduced by half, about 30 seconds. Add the rice, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, reserved eggs, bacon and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions. Season with salt and stir-fry until the rice is hot, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.