- 6 ounces freeze-dried corn (see Note)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, pulse the corn until a powder forms. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Whisk in the corn powder and salt and simmer over moderate heat, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Scrape the polenta into an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan lined with plastic wrap and spread in an even layer. Refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil until it reaches 375° on a candy thermometer. Unmold the polenta and discard the plastic wrap. Cut the polenta into eight 1-inch-thick squares or rectangles. Working in batches, fry the polenta, turning once, just until golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain on paper towels.
The polenta can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Freeze-dried corn is available at health-food stores and online at amazon.com.
Chicken or duck, or topped with raw fish, cured meats or pickled vegetables as a canape.