Deep-Dish Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 40 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie
Grace Parisi's strawberry rhubarb pie recipe is classic and perfectly tart-sweet. The dough can be made with just butter, but swapping in some lard yields an even flakier crust. As for the filling, she has experimented with several thickeners, but cornstarch is her favorite for juicy fruit pies.
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, hulled and quartered (5 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, sliced 1/2 inch thick (5 cups)
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Flaky Pie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 375° and position a rack in the lower third. In a bowl, toss the strawberries and rhubarb with the 1 cup of sugar, the cornstarch and the salt.
- Roll out the larger piece of Flaky Pie Dough to a 13-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick. Line a 9 1/2-by-1 3/4-inch glass pie plate with the dough. Brush the overhang with water and spoon in the filling.
- Roll out the smaller piece of dough to a 12-inch round and lay it over the filling; press the edges together. Trim the overhang to 1/2 inch, fold it under itself and crimp. Lightly brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a few slits for steam to escape.
- Bake the pie until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 2 hours. Cover the edge of the pie with foil if it begins to darken. Let cool for 5 hours at room temperature before serving.