Deep-Dish Sour Cherry Pie
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 55 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie
- 2 pounds pitted sour cherries (7 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Flaky Pie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 375° and position a rack in the lower third. In a bowl, toss the cherries with the 1 1/2 cups of sugar, the cornstarch, the fresh lemon juice and the salt.
- Roll out the larger piece of Flaky Pie Dough to a 13-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick. Line a 9 1/2-by-1 3/4-inch glass pie plate with the dough. Brush the overhang with water and spoon in the filling.
- Roll out the smaller piece of dough to a 12-inch round and lay it over the filling; press the edges together. Trim the overhang to 1/2 inch, fold it under itself and crimp. Lightly brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a few slits for steam to escape.
- Bake the pie until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 2 to 2 1/4 hours. Cover the edge of the pie with foil if it begins to darken. Let cool for 5 hours at room temperature before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.