Deep Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake
- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 10-INCH CAKE
This intensely chocolate cake—a favorite of chef Sascha Lyon's wife, Latoya—benefits from three glazings with sugar syrup. The glaze keeps the cake moist, and the extra sweetness complements the chocolate.
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks ( 1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4 -inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- Decadent Soft Chocolate Cream
- Softly whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Lightly butter a 10-inch loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper; butter the paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and baking soda. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with 1 cup of the sugar at medium speed until blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. On low speed, alternately beat in the sour cream and the dry ingredients in 3 batches. Add the chocolate pieces and beat just until combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then unmold and let cool right side up.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1 cup of sugar with the water and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Brush a thin layer of the glaze over the cake and let set. Brush the cake with the glaze 2 more times, allowing it to dry between glazings.
- Cut the cake into 3/4-inch-thick slices and serve with the Decadent Soft Chocolate Cream and whipped cream.
Because dessert includes both cheese and chocolate, it takes a rich, almost syrupy wine, such as Cockburn Ten-Year-Old Tawny Port, to deal with the creaminess of the cheeses and match the sweetness of the cake. If you're looking for a really special dessert wine, try the Mas Amiel Ten-Year-Old Maury.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.