Wheat Berries with Cauliflower, Almonds and Mint
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 4
Mint adds freshness while almonds bring out the nuttiness of the wheat berries in this great wintry side dish.
- 1/3 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup wheat berries, soaked overnight and drained
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 head of cauliflower (2 1/4 pounds), cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 mint leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast for 8 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Let the almonds cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a large saucepan, cover the wheat berries with 8 cups of water. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a simmer. Cook the wheat berries over moderate heat until tender but still chewy, about 45 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderately high heat until it begins to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth, cover and simmer over moderate heat until the cauliflower is just tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover the skillet and cook until all of the broth has evaporated but the vegetables are still moist, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the wheat berries with the cauliflower, toasted almonds and mint and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.