- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- One 1 1/4-pound skinless salmon fillet
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch of watercress (6 ounces), thick stems discarded
- 1 packed cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°. In a spice grinder, combine the coriander seeds, mustard seeds and crushed red pepper and pulse until coarsely ground. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, brush with 1 tablespoon of the Dijon mustard and coat with the ground spices.
In a large, ovenproof, nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Add the salmon, coated side down, and cook over high heat until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip the salmon. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the salmon for about 6 minutes, or until just cooked through. Transfer the salmon to a cutting board.
In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Add the watercress and parsley, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cut the salmon into 6 pieces, transfer to plates and serve the salad alongside.