Moroccan Carrot Salad with Oranges and Medjool Dates
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
This gorgeous, lightly sweet salad is terrific with roasted chicken and great for a buffet.
- 4 navel oranges, 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch matchsticks
- 1/2 pound Medjool dates, pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
- In a medium bowl, whisk the orange and lemon juice with the zests, sugar, cinnamon, cumin and cayenne. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and season the dressing with salt.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots with all but 2 tablespoons of the dressing and let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes.
- Using a very sharp knife, peel the remaining 3 oranges, carefully removing all of the bitter white pith. Cut in between the membranes, releasing the orange sections into the bowl with the remaining dressing. Add the dates and toss. Arrange the carrot salad on a platter, spoon the oranges and dates around it and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.