- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large head of escarole (1 pound), trimmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 6-ounce can imported tuna packed in oil, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the tomatoes with the water, cover and microwave for 2 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, then transfer to a mini food processor and puree.
Cook the linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over high heat for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the escarole, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing, until wilted and just beginning to brown in spots, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato puree and 1 cup of the reserved pasta cooking liquid. Add the pasta and cook, tossing frequently, until coated with a thick sauce, about 1 minute. Add more of the pasta cooking water if necessary. Stir in the tuna and olives, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl. Serve right away.