Harissa-Roasted Chicken with Chickpeas and Red Onion
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN plus 1 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
The chickpeas become pleasantly chewy after they roast with the chicken, while the yogurt in the marinade cools the spicy harissa. This dish was a huge hit with F&W staff.
- 1/3 cup harissa (see Note)
- 1/4 cup Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 whole chicken legs (2 1/2 pounds)
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained well and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the harissa with the yogurt and lemon juice. In a large resealable plastic bag, toss the chicken leg quarters with the harissa marinade and let stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan, toss the chickpeas with the red onion and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, until the onion begins to brown. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set the legs skin side up on top of the chickpeas. Roast the chicken in the top third of the oven for 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is browned. Transfer the chicken to plates, spoon the chickpeas and red onion alongside and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.