Dean's Deep-in-the-Heart-of-Texas Chicken
- SERVINGS: 16
For his succulent barbecued chicken, Dean Fearing recommends adding a few water-soaked hickory chips to the fire right before you put the chicken on the grill.
- Four 4-pound chickens, quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- True Texas Barbecue Sauce
- Light a grill, preferably charcoal. Rub the chicken with the oil and season with the thyme, red pepper, salt and black pepper. When the fire is medium hot, arrange the chicken, skin side down, on the grill. Cover and cook, rotating from time to time, so the fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Turn the chicken, cover and continue cooking until almost cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Uncover and generously spoon the True Texas Barbecue Sauce all over the skin. Turn the chicken side down and grill, basting and turning so it doesn't burn, until the pieces are nicely glazed and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Serve hot off the grill.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.