- 5 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 peeled garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 ounces dried kombu
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thighs
- 4 cups (4 ounces) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 ounces freeze-dried chicken (see Note)
- In a large pot, combine the water, onion, fennel, scallions, garlic and coriander and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Strain the broth and return it to the pot. Add the kombu. Cook over very low heat (140°) for 10 minutes. Discard the kombu.
- Transfer the broth to a pressure cooker. Add the drumsticks, thighs, shiitake mushrooms and freeze-dried chicken. Close and seal the pressure cooker and bring it to full pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions. Cook for 25 minutes. Strain and let cool.
The stock can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
Freeze-dried chicken is available online at campmor.com.