Date Quick Bread with Pecan Streusel
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 3 mini loaves
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pitted dates (4 ounces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE GLAZE Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly coat three 6-by-3-inch mini loaf pans with vegetable oil spray. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then break into large pieces. In a medium bowl, mix the flour with the light brown and granulated sugars, baking powder and salt. Stir in the butter. Add the pecans and squeeze the streusel mixture into large clumps.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer with the dates; let cool slightly. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the sugar with the eggs and oil until blended. Beat in the milk, dates and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients all at once and beat at low speed just until the batter is smooth. Spread the batter in the pans and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake for 45 minutes, or until risen and golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool for 20 minutes, then turn the loaves out onto a rack.
- In a small bowl, stir the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the warm loaves and cool completely before slicing.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.