- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried Black Mission figs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped dates
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup very hot tap water
- 4 sheets of phyllo dough
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the figs, dates, almonds, honey, vanilla and salt. Stir in the hot water. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a flat baking sheet with parchment paper. On a work surface, spread 1 sheet of phyllo dough with the long side facing you; brush with melted butter. Top with 3 more phyllo sheets, buttering each one. Spoon the filling along the bottom half of the phyllo dough and roll up the phyllo dough as tightly as possible, tucking in the ends as you roll.
Thaw frozen phyllo dough in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. Make sure your hands are as dry as possible when handling the dough. Unroll and work with one piece at a time. Cover any phyllo you are not using with a towel or wax paper; leaving the dough exposed to the air for even a minute will dry it out. Wrap any unused phllyo in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few days.