- One 2-inch piece of kombu (seaweed)
- 4 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 cups bonito shavings (1 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 6 ounces silken tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat or the meat from 1 steamed Dungeness crab, picked over
- 4 mitsuba or celery leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, cover the kombu with the water and let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Bring the water to a simmer over moderate heat and remove the kombu before it boils. Add the bonito and simmer for 1 minute. Cover the saucepan, remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain the dashi through cheesecloth into another saucepan and add the soy sauce and mirin.
- Arrange the tofu cubes and crabmeat in ovenproof bowls and warm in the oven for about 3 minutes. Bring the dashi to a simmer. Pour the hot dashi into the bowls, garnish with the mitsuba or celery leaves and serve right away.
Bright, creamy Pinot Blanc.