- 4 small black plums, quartered and pitted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sparkling wine, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the sparkling wine with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the plums are very soft and the syrup is deep purple, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the solids. You should have 2 cups. Let the syrup cool completely, then refrigerate until chilled.
- For each cocktail, pour 1 ounce of syrup into a flute and top with sparkling wine.
The black plum syrup can be refrigerated for 2 weeks.