- 1/4 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turbinado or raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup blanched, roasted almonds (3 ounces), preferably Marcona
- 3 ounces tender dandelion greens, large leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 12 black or green fresh figs, halved or quartered if large
- 12 thin slices of serrano ham (about 4 1/2 ounces)
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup of the sherry vinegar with the sugar and simmer over moderate heat until syrupy and reduced to 1 tablespoon, about 8 minutes.
In another small saucepan, warm the paprika over moderate heat until fragrant, 15 seconds. Stir in the honey and the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons of vinegar and scrape into a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
Using a microplane grater, finely grate 1/4 cup of the almonds over a sheet of wax paper. In a large bowl, toss the dandelion greens with 1/4 cup of the dressing and transfer to a platter. Add the figs to the bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the dressing, then arrange on the platter. Drape the serrano ham over the greens and scatter the whole almonds around the platter. Sprinkle the grated almonds over the serrano and drizzle with the sherry vinegar syrup. Serve the salad, passing the remaining dressing at the table.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Let return to room temperature before proceeding.